Georgian House reduced No Text

Chartered Surveyor


Chequers Cottage, Lower Road

West Farleigh, Kent ME15 0PE

Tel.  07908 641668

Email. [email protected]


Kirk-Brown Limited


Permitted Development Rights

Some minor works can be undertaken to your home without the need for Planning Consent under ‘Permitted Development Rights’ granted by Parliament. However some Local Authorities have applied restrictions on these and it is recommended that discussions are held with the local Planning Department to confirm which rights apply. In addition, these rights are further curtailed in 'designated areas', namely, Conservation Areas, the National Parks, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and the Norfolk or Suffolk Broads. There are also different requirements if the property is a listed building. Further, permitted Development Rights do not extend to Flats and Maisonettes.


Some common projects which are normally allowed under Permitted Development Rights include;


Conservatories, which would not occupy more than half the area of land around the “original house”;

Loft Extensions which does not exceed 50 cubic meters for a detached or semi-detached house;

Loft Extensions which does not exceed 40 cubic meters for a mid terrace house.

Single-storey rear extensions which do not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house by more than three metres if an attached house or by four metres if a detached house.

Garage conversions so long the works do not included enlarging the building. Note: many City Centre Local Authorities have removed this right due to parking restrictions.

Specified Changes of Use under the Use Class System.

Some out-buildings, which are ancillary to the main dwelling, including saunas, swimming pools and garages.

Installation of replacement windows and doors.


The above is not intended to be an all inclusive list of the activities permitted under the ‘Permitted Development’ rules, nor does it cover every restriction or nuance.


For a more in depth view of the Permitted Development Rights complete with interactive tools showing what is allowed, please follow the attached link to the Government’s Planning Portal, which opens a new window.


Where a proposal scheme falls outside the Permitted Development Rights a Full Planning Application will be required.




Square stock-photo-architect-rolls-and-plans-more-in-my-portfolio-architectural-plan-technical-project-drawing-close-74915158