Georgian House reduced No Text

Chartered Surveyor


Chequers Cottage, Lower Road

West Farleigh, Kent ME15 0PE

Tel.  07908 641668

Email. [email protected]


Kirk-Brown Limited


Building Control Approval

Building Regulations apply in England & Wales and promote standards for most aspects of a building's construction, energy efficiency in buildings, the needs of all people, including those with disabilities, in accessing and moving around buildings.

Building Approval can be obtained from either the Local Authority or the private sector via an Approved Inspector. It up to the individual which route they choice and in most cases there is little to choose between them.


If you choose the Local Authority route the application route falls in to two phases, Pre-Site Inspections and Site Inspections. There are three types of application which can be made:


• A Building Notice – usually for simple or small works;

• Full Plans – for detailed schemes and where a Building Notice is not allowed; and

• Regularisation – where Approval should have been obtained but hasn’t and the building works are now complete.


Building Notice


This is most suited to smaller projects of a simple nature and does not require any detailed plans or information to be provided prior to commencement on site, thus allowing works to get underway more quickly. At least two days before works are due to commence, the Notice is submitted to the Local Authority, together with the appropriate fee the works will be inspected as they progress.


During the site inspection process the Building Inspector may require further information such as structural design calculations or plans, you must supply the details requested. In addition, you need to be confident that the work will comply with the Building Regulations or you will risk having to correct any work you carry out if your local authority requests this. In this respect you do not have the protection provided by the approval of 'full plans'.


For certain types of work the Building Notice cannot be use, which include:


• For building work which is subject to section 1 of the Fire Precautions Act 1971

• Part II of the Fire Precautions (Workplace) Regulations 1997

• For work which will be built close to or over the top of rain water and foul drains shown on the 'map of sewers'

• Where a new building will front onto a private street.


And finally, the Local Authority is not required to issue a Completion Certificate under the Building Notice procedure, which may be an issue if you wish to sell the property in the future.

Square stock-photo-architect-rolls-and-plans-more-in-my-portfolio-architectural-plan-technical-project-drawing-close-74915158